The Extreme Republican Agenda, by the Numbers
See how extremist Republican policies will hurt families in your state
Banning abortion without exception. Gutting Social Security. Ending Medicare as we know it. Handouts for the wealthy. Decimating the EPA. Jeopardizing health care for people with pre-existing conditions.
This isn’t the platform of a fringe political group — it’s the House Republican agenda. While Senate Republicans are desperately trying to hide their plans and redact their campaign websites, House Republicans put their extremist plans online for anyone to read.
Representing nearly 75% of House Republicans, the Republican Study Committee calls itself the “leading influencer on the Right.” In June, they released their “blueprint for conservative governance.” And it is a shockingly dangerous plan for America families.
If Republicans retake Congress in November, here's what their agenda will look like
Fight disinformation: Sign up for the free Mother Jones Daily newsletter and follow the news that matters. During a…
Their extreme agenda will hurt millions of Americans, threaten already-vulnerable communities, and punish families in need. Here’s what House Republicans have planned if they take control of Congress:
- Ban abortion at all stages nationwide, while criminalizing abortion access and restricting reproductive health care.
- Raise the retirement age to 70, forcing more than 232 million people to work longer for their hard-earned Social Security benefits.
- Block all efforts to lower prescription drug prices, like those recently enacted by Democrats in the landmark Inflation Reduction Act.
- Jeopardize health care for people with pre-existing conditions by placing them in inadequate high-risk pools.
- Slash health coverage funding by more than half, hurting the 87 million people who currently rely on Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). The majority of whom are children, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- Gut the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), impacting at least 41 million people and making it harder for individuals to quality and receive benefits.
- End the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), impacting at least 5 million families and raising home energy bills for low-income Americans.
- Decimate the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by closing all regional EPA offices and gutting critical environmental laws.
- Eliminate Head Start, ending childcare for more than 1 million children, turning our affordable childcare crisis into a catastrophe.
- Make our tax system less fair and exacerbate inequality by building on the 2017 GOP Tax Scam.
🔗 Use our interactive map to see exactly what this extremist agenda means for you and families in your state:
While Republicans plot to implement their dangerous policies, Democrats have been hard at work delivering lifesaving relief for the American people. President Biden’s Infrastructure Law will rebuild our infrastructure for the 21st century. The CHIPS and Science Act will invest in American semiconductor manufacturing and create job-paying jobs for U.S. workers. The PACT Act will make sure veterans exposed to toxic burn pits get the care they deserve. The American Rescue Plan enabled the United States to recover faster than other advanced economies from the coronavirus pandemic. And the Inflation Reduction Act will lower costs for families while creating the clean energy jobs of the future.